One of my areas of expertise is Relationship Marketing and through the years I’ve become known as a go-to expert on topics like business networking, word of mouth, referral strategies and joint venture marketing.
Years ago I never would have believed that this would be an area I’d excel in. What you may not know about me is I am a success-driven INTROVERT. And what I’ve discovered is there are traits I possess (and that anyone can adopt and strengthen) that super-charge my networking prowess both online and offline.
The big one is… I am a connector.
And the first step to being a great connector is to be a collector of fascinating facts about the people you meet.
Dale Carnegie, Author of How to Win Friends and Influence People said:
“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.”
Read it a few times. Absorb it. This is a golden nugget of building advice.
Or, think of it this way…
“You can attract more clients in two months by becoming genuinely interested in your prospects than you can in two years trying to get them to be interested in you.”
And here’s how:
Discover what truly matters to people. What are their goals and aspirations? How can you help them right now? Make note of it and be someone who adds value and increase to the lives of others without expecting anything in return.
Don’t hold out until they become a client. Find ways to add value NOW. (I’m not saying give away the farm here… just help them up one or two steps on the stairway to success). One of the ways is to connect them to other people that can add value and increase for them too.
Your action steps:
- Think about the people you know and start to make note of the common ground that exists between them.
- Identify two or three people that you think should meet…
- Make that connection for them TODAY.
- Tell them why you’re bringing them together to get their conversation started and provide the common ground you already know exists…
- Step back and allow them to connect…
- Follow up to see how you can support them further, do they see value in the connection? Can you connect them to someone else they know you know (and have been secretly wanting to meet?)
You’ll be amazed by how good it feels to add value and increase to others. In time, you’ll begin to see the rewards of the reciprocity you are generating. The key is taking action without expectation.
Do you know someone you think that I should meet? Do you dream about meeting someone in my circle of influence? Let’s get a conversation started here and see what kinds of magical connections can unfold.
~ Gina xo
Latest posts by Gina Bell (see all)
- I was scared she’d say no but then THIS happened - December 10, 2014
- Is Invitation Intimidation getting in the way of your joint (ad)venture of a lifetime? Get them primed to play. - December 4, 2014
- Goal set. Plan on paper. Now what? - November 27, 2014